What we're working on right now is stream WRITE ability, in order to be
able to record OSG-rendered video to any libavcodec supported writable
stream.

The frame-centeric osg ReaderWriter Plugin architecture doesn't have
exactly the proper API for writing multiple images to a single stream-file,
as it considers each frame to be a unique file. But we've found a sensible
way to overload the normal usage without adding any jarring new API calls.

I could probably look into other improvements while we're in there if
anyone wanted them bad enough to put up some funding.
​