Hi,

I'm displaying icons over the terrain as billboards (always facing the
user). These icons represent structures and landmarks (hydroelectric dams,
national parks, mountain peaks, mining projects...), so I'll load some tens
of thousands of them, and show some hundred or a few thousand at a time. To
save memory, I've learned that I must use a single geometry per class of
icon. So, for hydroelectric dams (hidrelétricas, in Portuguese), I'm doing
once:

            geodeHidreletrica = new osg::Billboard;
            geodeHidreletrica->setMode( osg::Billboard::POINT_ROT_EYE );
            osg::Geometry* quadHidreletrica =
createQuad("icons/hidreletrica.png","QuadHidrelétrica");

and for each icon I do:

            geodeHidreletrica->addDrawable( quadHidreletrica, osg::Vec3(
lon, lat, alt ) );

So far so good, the icons appear where they should. "QuadHidrelétrica" is
the name of the quad (using setName). However, I want to have a different
name for each icon, or somehow identify them by name when the mouse is over
them. Is that possible using this strategy? Or should I do things
differently? If so, what's the best approach, regarding performance?

Thanks,
Rodrigo.