I'm happy to report that this was a silly error on my part, depth testing is
working fine with vnc and Mesa.

Cheers,

On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 01:46 +0000, OpenSceneGraph Users wrote:
Hi,

I recently fixed a problem I was having with a missing depth buffer which was
causing strange occlusion effects but it seems it only works for my local
display using an Nvidia driver, when I run the application with Mesa it goes
back to looking like there's no depth testing.

I've run the application with MESA_DEBUG and the only error I see is
GL_INVALID_ENUM in glDrawElements(mode=7), which I suspect is unrelated. It
also complained about the 3 argument setAttributeAndModes which I added when
trying to fix the initial depth test issue but I think is redundant so I just
removed it.

state->setTextureMode(texnum, GL_DEPTH_TEST, osg::StateAttribute::OVERRIDE |
osg::StateAttribute::ON);

When I built OSG for my local display I set OPENGL_PROFILE to "GL3" and I built
OSG for Mesa the same way, should I be using something different for Mesa?

$ glxinfo | grep Mesa
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.1.4
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 19.1.4
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.1.4