OSGi enRoute has only one goal: simplify getting started using OSGi as it was
intended.

Much of the work went into creating the tooling that was missing to do it the
OSGi way. This work was mainly done in bnd and Bndtools. It was never the
intention to compete with Karaf, Aries, Equinox, Apache Felix, Amdatu,
Knopflerfish etc. The beauty of OSGi is that is a component system. Once you
got a simple version running you can easily extend it with more complex
components.

Since it is important to show a web app today OSGi enRoute added missing
components that were not available in the ‘OSGi way’ service. It therefore
defined their API and provided a simple provider. All these services are up for
specifications in the OSGi specification process. See the RFPs and RFCs on
Github. Several have progressed quite far and will likely replace the OSGi
enRoute services.

The goal is to make this set of specific OSGi enRoute bundles empty. This is
visible in the distro of OSGi enRoute. The distro is a shining example of OSGi.
It consists of bundles from all popular open source projects.

For an overview of OSGi services see the OSGi Compendium. All the information
you’re looking for is in there.

Kind regards,

        Peter Kriens