Hi,

We are implementing OSGi in our product (embedding Equinox programmatically).
Designing our Bundles installation error handling, we run some tests.
Surprisingly, we see that when we install a regular jar archive in the FW, it's
getting installed, resolved and even active, without any exception thrown.
We also see that it has a regular bundle-id and that his
bundle.getSymbolicName() returns null
(Aligns with
https://wiki.searchtechnologies.com/javadoc/osgi/osgi-javadoc-v41/org/osgi/framework/Bundle.html#getSymbolicName()
 )

This jar has a Manifest (I think generated by Maven) but it doesn't have any
OSGi header in it.
This is the Manifest:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Built-By: noname
Created-By: Apache Maven 3.2.5
Build-Jdk: 1.8.0_92

Name: Skeleton Rule
Build-Time: 2018-01-31 10:49
ArtifactId: skeleton
Version: 5.9.2.2-SNAPSHOT
GroupId: skel
We use org.eclipse.osgi version 3.11.2 (which implements R6)
>From what I see in the R6 core spec (section 3.12), the FW should throw an
>exception in such case, when installing the jar.

3.12 Bundle Validity
The following (non-exhaustive) list of errors causes a bundle to fail to
install:
* Missing Bundle-SymbolicName.

Can anyone please clarify what is the expected behavior?

Regards,
Eran

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the
above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any
opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE
Actimize. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no
action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please
delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.
Monitoring: NICE Actimize may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.
Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.