<http://www.investigativeproject.org/2296/revolution-muslim-shifting-from-id
eological-to>
http://www.investigativeproject.org/2296/revolution-muslim-shifting-from-ide
ological-to

Revolution Muslim Shifting from Ideological to Operational

IPT News
November 2, 2010

http://www.investigativeproject.org/2296/revolution-muslim-shifting-from-ide
ological-to

http://www.investigativeproject.org/pics/390_large.jpgFollowers of the
outspoken groups Revolution Muslim and the Islamic Thinkers Society are
moving from ideology to violent action, a review of recent terror
indictments by the Investigative Project on Terrorism shows.

U.S. counter terror agencies have traditionally paid little attention to
those groups, presumably because they represent a safe and legal outlet for
the frustrations of young, aspiring Jihadists. Similarly, Islamist groups
like the
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/1922/cairs-irresponsible-dismissal-of-t
he-south-park> Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) have minimized
the danger of these individuals. CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-south-park-20100423,0,59
40860.story> wrote off the RevolutionMuslim.com site as "an extreme fringe
group that has absolutely no credibility within the Muslim community." "In
fact, most Muslims suspect they were set up only to make Muslims look bad,"
Hooper added. "We just have very deep suspicions. They say such outrageous,
irresponsible things that it almost seems like they're doing it to smear
Islam." But the new indictments show that some overzealous participants in
the groups are increasing their radical activity, resulting in the groups'
heightened threat. Their influence is growing.

The case of Abdel Hameed Shehadeh is the most recent example. Shehadeh was
arrested Oct. 26 in Hawaii on charges of lying about why he traveled to
Pakistan and his attempts to join the Taliban. Shehadeh, who operated three
websites hosting extremist material and Al-Qaeda videos, enjoyed a close
relationship with Revolution Muslim.

According to the
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/1400.pdf> criminal
complaint, a June 28, 2008 visit by a federal agent to one of these websites
revealed a blog post "introducing  <http://www.civiljihad.com/>
www.civiljihad.com to the Revolution Muslim online community."

"It is time for the Muslims to start practicing our freedom of speech. My
brothers of revolution islam [Revolution Muslim], I am with you as long as
you keep struggling. Trust me there are many brothers and sisters in America
that are ready to speak up. They just need a push," Shehadeh posted on his
site. By August 03, 2008,  <http://www.civiljihad.com/> www.civiljihad.com
simply became a redirecting website, automatically
<http://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/www.civiljihad.com> sending viewers to
Revolution Muslim's homepage.

Organizations like Revolution Muslim have been the "
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130519592> push" that
many of these individuals needed to organize and act. These groups share a
common belief in spreading their understanding of Islam through Da'wah
[proselytizing]. They also promote a common narrative of a "War on Islam,"
and an identification with foreign terrorist organizations aimed at bringing
down the West.

RM functions as one of the most visible English-language websites and
organizations promoting al-Qaida's call to jihad. In addition to promoting
<http://www.revolutionmuslim.com/2010/10/sheikh-anwar-al-awlaki.html> the
literature and
<http://www.revolutionmuslim.com/2010/10/who-are-we-why-we-fight-steps-towar
ds.html> videos of individuals like senior terrorist ideologue
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/2077/awlakis-us-sermons-foreshadow-role
-as-terrorist> Anwar al-Awlaki, RM leaders have personally participated in
all levels of the radicalization process, from identifying targets to
providing advice about bombings.

For example, RM founder Yousef al-Khattab
<http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2009/01/radical-muslim-a
postate-jew-threatens-chabad.html> sparked heightened security at prominent
Jewish sites by identifying them as sources of funding, spiritual guidance
and material for Israel's January 2009 attack on Gaza. He also taunted law
enforcement in his threat, noting that, "And Wallahi [really], New York City
Police Department, CIA, and FBI, you can put me in jail for the rest of my
life. As long as I got that information out there to people about what to
do, I did something." The following picture on RM's website was linked to
his threat.

http://www.investigativeproject.org/pics/391_large.jpg

An earlier posting
<http://www.revolutionmuslim.com/search?updated-max=2008-03-12T18%3A46%3A00-
04%3A00&max-results=30> featured a Jewish prayer book covered in what
appears to be blood. Likewise, a posting concerning the Times Square Bomber
<http://www.revolutionmuslim.com/2010/05/busted-paltalk-trolls-up-in-arms-ov
er.html> stated, "I think people should be more careful when they plan
operations. Try fertilizer, not firecrackers, Insha'Allah [Allah willing]."

Revolution Muslim has also been a stopover point for identification with
larger terrorist groups like Hamas and al-Qaida, or an ideological breeding
ground for homegrown jihadist sentiment. By giving would-be warriors a
centralized place to review and discuss violent speeches by clerics such as
<http://www.nefafoundation.org/miscellaneous/FeaturedDocs/nefa_alfaisal1009.
pdf> Abdullah al-Faisal, RM gathers isolated individuals on varying levels
of the radicalization process. It gives them "a push" to identify with the
most violent extremes of Islamist theology and feeds the narrative that
Muslims everywhere are the victim of a "War on Islam."

RM's efforts have registered with susceptible individuals, including Abdul
Hameed Shehadeh, former RM leading member
<http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/02/alleged-american-jihadists-connecting-
the-dots/> Zachary Chesser, and a host of other attempted terrorists.

Chesser, aka Abu Talhah al-Amreekee, recently
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/1395.pdf> pled
guilty in Alexandria, VA federal court to providing material support to
Al-Shabaab, an al-Qaida-affiliated terrorist organization. Chesser also
echoed calls by Awlaki aimed at inciting violence against cartoonists for
the animated show "South Park" and a journalist who initiated the "Everybody
Draw Muhammad Day." In addition, he provided the personal information of
several individuals involved with "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" on a
jihadist forum. Other accused or convicted terrorists with noted Revolution
Muslim ties include
<http://articles.cnn.com/2010-05-11/justice/vinas.cruickshank.analysis_1_qae
da-pakistani-taliban-terrorist/3?_s=PM:CRIME> Colleen LaRose,
<http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/07/22/2009-07-22_feds_long_island_
man_gave_al_qaeda_info.html> Bryant Neal Vinas,
<http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/radicals.mosque/index.html> Tarek
Mehanna and Daniel Maldonado. Even Samir Khan, the suspected editor of
Al-Qaeda's English magazine and the
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319845/Samir-Khan-talks-pride-trai
tor-Al-Qaeda-magazine.html> author of its second edition article, "I am
proud to be a Traitor to America,"
<http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/02/alleged-american-jihadists-connecting-
the-dots/> gradually moved from the organization's circles to al-Qaeda.

RM is not alone in its connections to individuals who have carried out acts
of terror. The
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/253/islamic-thinkers-society-in-nyc>
Islamic Thinkers Society, another radical Islamist forum, promotes an
identical message about a "War on Islam" and violent solutions. Islamic
Thinkers Society went well beyond providing ideological support and
identifying potential targets. According to
<http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/11/n-j-suspects-attended-protests-organiz
ed-by-radical-islamic-group/> CNN, "followers of the Islamic Thinkers
Society not only helped radicalize [convicted terrorist Bryant Neil] Vinas,
but also helped him connect with militants in Pakistan." Other accused
terrorists affiliated with the movement include Mahmood Alessa and Carlos
Eduardo Almonte, both reportedly
<http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/nj_men_accused_in_terror_plot.html
> negotiating guilty pleas for attempting to fight alongside Al-Shabaab

Read more at:
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/2296/revolution-muslim-shifting-from-id
eological-to>
http://www.investigativeproject.org/2296/revolution-muslim-shifting-from-ide
ological-to

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.