Harry,

This issue will appear wherever an "island" tag is used. Whether it is on a multiple or a single polygon.

There appears to be an implicit assumption in most of the renderers that "islands" are small and should be rendered at the higher zoom levels.

However islands such as Great Britain are large, so it is not appropriate to render tagging data from them at higher zoom levels.

Here is a list of the largest islands in the world.

Greenland 2,175,597 sq km.
New Guinea 800,311
Borneo 744,108
Madagascar 587,931
Baffin 507,451
Sumatra 473,605
Honshu 230,966
Great Britain 229,979

If someone were to add an island tag to any of these as well as Great Britain then that tag would also be perfectly valid. But then the Osmand renderer (and I suspect most others) would render the name of the "island" at high zoom levels, potentially obscuring more relevant data.

That is what most people(including me) are bitching about. Not the data.

Roger