On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:49:18 PM UTC+2, Alexander Mueller wrote:

> Hello OsmAnd community!
>
> I wonder how it's possible to have my phone keep the GPS connection even
> when in sleep mode without using navigation?
>
> I know I can set a navigation to some point, and it will continue to keep
> the GPS connection in the background just fine. But sometimes I dont want
> to go to a particular place, but still be able to pull out my phone and
> instantly see where I am. Currently, when I wake my phone, it takes ages to
> connect to a GPS signal.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

You can also try applications like GPS Status & Toolbox
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2> ,
which speed up the fixing, by forcing position update via a forced A-GPS
data download.

This app runs as a background process and checks if data files are too old;
if this happens, a fresh copy is automatically downloaded; you can also
force a data refresh manually, if you want.

...And don't worry about traffic consumption, even if you are abroad: once
downloaded, A-GPS data are valid for several days, so you can do a manual
update whenever you are under a wi-fi hotspot (i.e. Hotel, restaurant,
etc.) without impact on your data plan.

Ciao,
Max - Italy
324