As far as I know, the only way is to do as you are doing now.

Some navigation apps are snapping the selection to the nearest road /
crossing / address, IMHO, nothing like this is possible in Osmand. Well, an
idea could be to find POI on the highway (on the correct side) you want to
drive, selecting these works better then trying to get the lane alone.