On Friday, 12 October 2018 18:07:54 UTC+2, Peter B wrote:

> Just tap multiple times on the (-) button to come to a lower zoom level.
> Then the maps which are installed are green.  Make a long tap on a region
> which is not green and which you want to install.
> Peter

And yellow for the maps in backup.

> Am Freitag, 12. Oktober 2018 17:16:09 UTC+2 schrieb Peter Kaiser:
>>
>> I see that maps for some large regions I've been downloading and using --
>> for instance, regions of France and Germany -- now seem to be segmented
>> into smaller territories under new names. I'm no longer sure what I need to
>> keep updated for the places I visit or drive through.
>>
>> Without becoming intimate with administrative details of all the places I
>> may want to visit or pass through now and in the future, how can I tell
>> simply what maps to download and keep current?
>>
> Not really straightforward, but possible and might be more pain than help:
Switch the  "developer" module on. Then, in settings, the last one,
development... > Simulate the first start of app. This will bring the
initial screen on, where you could download the map of the current region.

Beware: If you have data in nonstandard folder, you will have to set it
again in settings > common settings > data directory.

I did try it just now, it works and should leave all your settings intact,
except the data directory in settings. But still, I would do it only as
last resort. I mean "I have to download a map right now but have no other
idea how to do it.