In Android, a "location provider" is a service that provides your
location--typically a GPS signal.  So given the error message, it sounds
like you are not getting a signal once OsmAnd starts running in the
background.  If Google Maps also has this problem, that would help narrow
the cause down and would probably indicate that it's hardware-specific.

That's about the limit of my knowledge. Maybe someone else here can offer
more.