On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 06:35:11AM -0800, 'ra' via OsmAnd wrote:
any chance osmand will correct these deadly "features" soon? the hazzle of
saving and re-installing all my GB of maps etc is another bore ...  f-droid
offers nothing older than 3.5.3 ( is that the newest version that is still
working?).

What f-droid are you looking at? My f-droid app claims to have available OsmAnd versions all the way back to 0.6.5.

And for recent versions 3.5.2, 3.4.8, 3.4.6, 3.4.5, etc. are all listed as available for downgrade (note, I am not going to test downgrading, but everything appears to be available to install if wanted).