I found turning off the magnetic sensor in Osmand maps to cure the issue
with the magnet interrupting the compass of Osmand maps.  It seems to work
now with the, use magnetic sensor turned off in settings for Osmand maps.
The car mount for my phone uses a strong magnetic and I found this to
interrupt the phone's magnetic sensor, so turning it off seems to fix the
problem.  Anyone have any ideas regarding this trouble?  I am not sure if I
had it turned off in settings on my Galaxy S8 plus, I can not remember.