On 2012-01-18 07:23, Brett Henderson wrote:

On 16 January 2012 07:22, Richard Hansen <rhan...@bbn.com> wrote:

On 2012-01-15 07:34, Brett Henderson wrote:

You're correct in saying that Releasable classes can be released
multiple times, however that is not typically how they're used
in the Osmosis pipeline.

Does it make sense to change the Releasable API definition to say
that release can only be called once?  Or might that break
multiple-sink stages like merge?

I've updated the Releasable API definition to say that implementations
should support release being called multiple times but that it isn't
mandatory and cannot be relied on by clients.

Cool.  With that change, no other changes should be necessary.

release() and outputRelease() have been designed to support re-use.  I
don't think I've tested it, but I believe it will work.  The two
variables you mention are initialized near the start of those methods
and only read after the xxxxReleased flags have been set so their
initial state isn't important.  However I can see that is confusing so
I've modified their initial state to match their final state of true
(I'll check it in shortly).

I agree with that change. The only other thing I would suggest is a comment indicating that the class is designed to support reuse. (Or are all tasks supposed to be reusable?)

Your patch would probably work but I'd prefer to continue to support
re-use rather than to use that variable for a second purpose.

Good point. With your Releasable contract change, the patch is unnecessary anyway.

An alternative is to increase the burden on the users of
DataPostbox. They could be required to either ensure that the output
thread restarts or avoid calling DataPostbox.release() once the
output thread exits. For example, EntityBuffer.run() could set an
'outputThreadIsRunning' boolean at the top and clear it at the end.
Then EntityBuffer.release() would be modified to only call
buffer.release() if outputThreadIsRunning is true.

Race conditions between threads are tough to avoid, and I believe the
above change would introduce one.  If the output thread hasn't entered
EntityBuffer.run yet and the outputThreadIsRunning flag hasn't been set,
but the calling thread encounters an early exception and calls
EntityBuffer.release, the calling thread will think that the output
thread isn't running and there is no need to perform release
functionality.  This would then lead to the output thread blocking when
it finally does start.

Yes, you are correct -- there is a race condition in that scheme. Concurrency is fun, isn't it? :)

The way the class is constructed now, each thread will synchronise at
the initialize, complete and release methods.  If either thread skips
straight to release

Oh, I didn't realize that was possible. That makes it hard if not impossible to support both reuse and multiple calls to release().

then the other thread detects that as an error
condition and aborts appropriately, but in all cases both threads will
synchronise around release before exiting.  The only reason to
synchronise around release is to support re-use which may never be used
in practice but it should work well.  We can't even rely on the
initialize methods being called because it is possible for a thread to
fail before that is called.

I'd rather leave the class as it is designed now.  It's a tradeoff
between supporting re-use and incurring the limitation that every call
to release must be matched by a call to outputRelease in another
thread.  I don't think it's possible to have it both ways.

I agree with your analysis.

Thanks for making the changes!

-Richard