Hi Jeff,

At the OSPF WG Meeting in Chicago, you suggested that we may want to provide
configuration of BFD parameters within the OSPF model (ietf-ospf.yang). We
originally did have this configuration. However, after much discussion and
coordination with the BFD YANG design team, we agreed to leave the BFD session
parameters in BFD and only enable BFD within the OSPF and IS-IS models.

We did discuss the fact that vendors (notably Cisco IOS-XR and Juniper JUNOS)
do allow configuration within the IGPs. However, the consensus was to leave the
BFD configuration in the BFD model. The heuristics to determine what parameters
to use when the same BFD endpoint was configured with different parameters in
different protocols were proprietary and somewhat of a hack.

I may have not remembered all the details so I’d encourage others to chime in.

Thanks,
Acee