From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:ossec-l...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Carl Hill
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 9:33 PM
To: 'ossec-list@googlegroups.com'
Subject: [ossec-list] Re: log file integrity checking

It is part of PCI-DSS:
10.5.5 Use file integrity monitoring and change detection software on logs to
ensure that existing log data cannot be changed without generating alerts
(although new data being added should not cause an alert).

Also worth noting is a separate point:
10.5.3 Promptly back-up audit trail files to a centralized log server or media
that is difficult to alter.

Now the fun begins.  I am going to lead into this with the standard I am not a
QSA and you shouldn't depend on this email for your compliance decisions.

First of all, you may not use one part of the standard (10.5.3) to address
another requirement.  They *all* must be met.  10.5.3 is probably your best
security when it comes to protecting log integrity, but the act of meeting
10.5.3 dopes not get you off the hook for 10.5.5.

Second, there is a lot of confusion out there around 10.5.5.  Does it mean that
logs must be signed the second they are created?  And, does it mean that every
instance of every log must be signed.  Once again, do not base your compliance
or decisions on this email.  I have asked a number of qualified people these
questions.  The consensus was:

No, a log needn't be signed/re-signed every time a new entry is written.  It
doesn't make sense and truthfully, it is likely nearly impossible -- at the
least it could cripple the resources.  The consensus was that it is reasonable
to calculate your checksums at regular intervals.  i.e. when rotating the
files.  How often you rotate those files is a case by case decision.  You'll
need to do your own risk analysis and determine what you can live with.  For
some, a 24 hour rotation may well be good enough, for others you may need
shorter periods.  Then, when the log is rotated, calculate your checksum.

This is also where a central log server is going to be a further advantage for
you.  If the server is collecting all of the pertinent logs from agents (i.e.
your ossec server), then you can probably be okay with performing the previous
checksum calculations on the centrally stored files -- not on every instance of
every log (which is probably impossible anyway).

I'm sure there will be varying and differing opinions on the list about these.
The only thing that I will say with absolute certainty is that you cannot use
the act of meeting one requirement (i.e. 10.5.3) as compensating control for
another requirement (i.e. 10.5.5).  After that, talk to your QSA to get
approval for your decision.

Carl Hill