Hi Joel,

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Joel Brooks <jbro...@oddelement.com> wrote:
> i still haven't got it working.
>
> I've tried moving the <command> definitions and the <active-response>
> sections to the agent.conf, and still no joy.

No joy because the MANAGER doesn't use the agent.conf.

> i just can't get active response to work in central management mode.
>
> I found that executing
>
> bin/agent_control -b 1.2.3.4 -f firewall-drop -u 000
>
> from the manager results in the following in the ossec.log on the agent.
>
> 2011/02/25 19:53:01 ossec-execd: INFO: Active response command not
> present: '/var/ossec/active-response/bin/restart-ossec.cmd'. Not using
> it on this system.

The restart-ossec.cmd is a Windows AR, this message can be ignored.

> 2011/02/25 19:53:01 ossec-execd(1311): ERROR: Invalid command name
> 'firewall-drop' provided.

That's strange. I see it in the ossec.conf you sent to the mailing
list (or this could be asking for the actual command
/var/ossec/active-response/bin/firewall-drop.sh, I can't test to find
out at the moment).

Can you turn on debugging on the agents? I'm hoping that might help.

I don't think the firewall-drop command would be the one to fire,
since the host-deny command is used in the first active-response block
and they use the same parameters.

> any further insights / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

When you try testing this with SSH, which alert is firing? Your AR
configuration requires that it be level 6+.
It looks like most of the (single) ssh authentication failure alerts
are level 5 or lower.