Disregard this topic, I took another fresh look at the Orfeo Cookbook and
it dawned on me that *h_s *will operate on the displacement map as that
allows you to check the spatial distance of the local modes uses to 'set'
the values in the filtered image. It allows you to limit the merging of
neighboring pixels if their local modes are further away spatially than
what you consider desirable and/or plausible for each particular segment.

Op dinsdag 18 september 2018 20:57:22 UTC+2 schreef j.sieb...@gmail.com:

> I came to that assumption after reading this post (
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/otb-users/PM5XWBrAr3Q/b8qFCkuiBwAJ) where
> the author himself mentioned that "h_s will operate on the displacement map
> during the segmentation step". If it would 'just' (re)select the pixels in
> a set spatial radius for *hr* evaluation, you could just use the pixel
> coordinates from the filtered image.
>
> On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 8:32:34 PM UTC+2, j.sieb...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm using LSMSS as part of my Msc. thesis where I apply OBIA on VHR (RGB)
>> imagery in an effort to characterize potato plants by their spatial
>> features (shape, volume, texture, etc.). So far I'm really impressed by the
>> LSMSS tool (and the toolbox in general) but I have a question concerning
>> the spatial radius parameter in the second step (coined the grouping step
>> in Michel et al., 2015). In that same paper it is mentioned that *all
>> *neighboring
>> pixels are grouped together if their local (spectral and spatial modes are
>> under the set thresholds (*hr and hs).*  Now regarding the *hs *threshold,
>> do spatial offsets (from the spatial image/displacement image) get summed
>> until the *hs *value has been reached in clusters already determined by
>> *hr*? Or are potential clusters determined by (re)gathering all pixels
>> that are within that *hs *(and *hr) *threshold for each individual
>> pixel? Looking at the lack of *n_iter* variables and the fact that '
>> *neighboring'*  pixels are explicitly mentioned, I would think the
>> former makes more sense. Am I interpreting it correctly?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jasper

Check the OTB FAQ at
http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/FAQ.html