I work in phys-med OT, but want to take a run at this.   Perhaps they mean
organic meaning that there is an biological source of mental illness at the
impairment level as defined by WHO but the impairment may not adversely
effect function.  Perhaps the illness is mild enough, or they have learned
ways to cope, or they are being treated appropriately so they are able to
function.   Functional illness would imply that regardless of the degree or
severity of the mental illness they have, they are in some way disabled:
that their function is adversely impacted.

Does that help to clarify, or give some more ideas?  For those who do
practice in this area, Am I way off, or pretty close?

Greg
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 3:24 PM
Subject: [OTnow] organic versus functional illness


> Hi,
>
> I wonder if any one can help me.  I am currently a second year OT student
on
> a mental health placement and am having a hard time on my second
placement.
> One of the questions my supervisor has asked me is, 'What is the
difference
> between functional and organic illness and give examples'?  I had answered
that
> Organic is a natural evolving illness and functional is aquired by life
style,
> I now know this is wrong as my supervisor had great pleasure telling me
this.
> I have been given the task of finding out what the difference is but I am
> struggling to find it in text books.  I would appreciate any body's view
on this
> and any recommended books.
>
> Thankyou
> essexcel
>
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
> The OTnow Mail Archive:
> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ===============================================
>


_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

Reply via email to