Through  OTnow, I can setup a discussion board. Is this something that OTnow
subscribers  would  find  useful? I wonder how many people will actually use
the  board. I also wonder if having two points of information (i.e. the list
serve  and the discussion board) would cause confusion among readers. At one
time,  a  discussion  board  was  available  on  the  OTnow  web  site  but I
discontinued it some time back because it didn't generate much interest.

=======================================================
On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, @ 3:27 PM, you wrote:

MK> Ruth -- I like your on-line mentorship idea. It's not the same as
MK> actually being in the same room & doesn't offer immediate feedback, but
MK> it does allow time for the new grad. to reflect on the day's
MK> questions/concerns & pose those feedback. I use a web board for just
MK> these types of discussions with my students who are out of Level II.
MK> While they do have an immediate supervisor, the web board offers them
MK> the perspectives of classmates, myself & other professors.

MK> Karen
MK> Florida Gulf Coast University

MK> -----Original Message-----
MK> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
MK> Behalf Of Ruth Meyers
MK> Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 6:23 AM
MK> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MK> Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision


MK> Hi All - Ruth Meyers here- have been pondering on the phenom. of
MK> new grads being thrown in to the fire too soon; unfortunately the need
MK> for staff is great & this is the result. I certainly was fortunate
MK> enough early in my career to have great mentors, folks who guided ( and
MK> pummeled) me into development and greater awareness as a clinician and a
MK> person. I wonder if we couldn't do something here - perhaps develop an
MK> on-line mentorship network ( I know the listservs function, quite well )
MK> in this way- but does anyone envision something complementary? Just a
MK> thought.
MK> r.
MK> ----- Original Message ----- 
MK>   From: Ron Carson 
MK>   To: Sue Hossack MOTR/L 
MK>   Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 1:52 AM
MK>   Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision


MK>   Hello Sue:

MK>   I  think  that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of
MK>   the  regulation  is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to
MK>   review  client's  treatment.  It  doesn't  seem like you are required to see
MK>   actual  treatment.  Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted,
MK>   such  as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am
MK>   sure  the  law  is  written  to  ensure  that  clients  are  getting treated
MK>   appropriately.

MK>   On  a  whole  different  topic.  In  my  opinion,  it certainly isn't what I
MK>   consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor
MK>   of  two  COTAs.  New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment
MK>   has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about
MK>   all new grads)

MK>   Be  very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on
MK>   the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected.

MK>   Ron

MK>   =======================================================
MK>   On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:

MK>   SHML> Hi all,
MK>   SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to 
MK>   SHML> Virginia.I  am working at a private clinic with a big school-system
MK>   SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to 
MK>   SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not
MK>   SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.

MK>   SHML> According to the state regulations:

MK>   SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet
MK>   SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate treatment
MK>   SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth
MK>   SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first

MK>   SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of
MK>   SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case? The
MK>   SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each
MK>   SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment
MK>   SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
MK>   SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would make
MK>   SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get an
MK>   SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.

MK>   SHML>  Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks

MK>   SHML>  Sue Hossack MOTR/L



MK>   SHML> Ron Carson wrote:

MK>   >>
MK>   >>_______________________________________________
MK>   >>To unsubscribe, visit:
MK> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
MK>   >>
MK>   >>The OTnow Mail Archive: 
MK>   >>www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
MK>   >>===============================================
MK>   >>
MK>   >>
MK>   >>
MK>   >>  
MK>   >>
MK>   SHML> _______________________________________________
MK>   SHML> To unsubscribe, visit:
MK>   SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

MK>   SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: 
MK>   SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
MK>   SHML> ===============================================



MK>   _______________________________________________
MK>   To unsubscribe, visit:
MK> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

MK>   The OTnow Mail Archive: 
MK>   www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
MK>   ===============================================

MK> _______________________________________________
MK> To unsubscribe, visit:
MK> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

MK> The OTnow Mail Archive: 
MK> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
MK> ================

MK> _______________________________________________
MK> To unsubscribe, visit:
MK> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

MK> The OTnow Mail Archive:
MK> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]



_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

Reply via email to