Supervising a COTA is done weekly at our clinic and discussions are ongoing
re: treatments plans and ideas for meeting the goals.Each state has its own
set of rules for supervising COTA's as Florida says periodic. We have to
look at if the COTA is a new grad or even if they have experience it depends
on the patient's diagnosis and treatment plan to be carried out.  


Dear OT's,

We are in need of a pediatric occupational therapist here in the panhandle
of Florida (Ft. Walton Beach, Crestview, Destin, Navarre areas). If anyone
knows of an OT please e-mail name to this address [EMAIL PROTECTED] We have 2
growing clinics, 1 has a therapeutic horseback riding program and the other
has a developmental dance program. 

PTC
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 8:11:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OTnow] Re: OTlist Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8
 
I am a COTA/L as well as an OTR/L. I visit with my COTA/L that I supervise
once week minimum to go over case load co-sign, iron out any issues. I also
document these meetings, print out the email etc.. I usually co-treat their
toughest clients once or twice a month. I have daily phone contact and email
contact too. 
At first it is more time consuming to do supervision, until you get to know
and are comfortable with the people you are supervising. I think as a new
grad, your new place of employment has put too much on you. To learn a case
load, supervise 2 COTA/L s and hone your therapy and evaluation skills in a
busy clinic that has school contracts is quite a chunk of responsibility and
transition. I hope that they have provided an orientation, an abbreviated
schedule to allow you to become familiar with all of the duties, and will
let the PRN OT's supervise the COTA/L's too. Mentorship is so important. IT
is a necessity while you are transitioning from school to work. Sandra
Caskey, OTR/L

----- Original Message -----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 2:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OTlist Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8

Send OTlist mailing list submissions to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of OTlist digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. Re: OT Supervision (Ron Carson)
2. Re: OT Supervision (Ruth Meyers)
3. Re: OT Supervision (Sue Hossack MOTR/L)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:52:54 -0500
From: Ron Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision
To: Sue Hossack MOTR/L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hello Sue:

I think that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of
the regulation is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to
review client's treatment. It doesn't seem like you are required to see
actual treatment. Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted,
such as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am
sure the law is written to ensure that clients are getting treated
appropriately.

On a whole different topic. In my opinion, it certainly isn't what I
consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor
of two COTAs. New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment
has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about
all new grads)

Be very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on
the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected.

Ron

=======================================================
On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:

SHML> Hi all,
SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to 
SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system 
SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to 
SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not 
SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.

SHML> According to the state regulations:

SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet 
SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate
treatment
SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth 
SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first

SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of 
SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case?
The
SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each 
SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment 
SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would
make
SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get
an
SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.

SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks

SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L



SHML> Ron Carson wrote:

>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>>
>>The OTnow Mail Archive: 
>>www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>===============================================
>>
>>
>>
>> 
>>
SHML> _______________________________________________
SHML> To unsubscribe, visit:
SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: 
SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SHML> ===============================================





------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:22:48 -0500
From: "Ruth Meyers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi All - Ruth Meyers here- have been pondering on the phenom. of new grads
being thrown in to the fire too soon; unfortunately the need for staff is
great & this is the result. I certainly was fortunate enough early in my
career to have great mentors, folks who guided ( and pummeled) me into
development and greater awareness as a clinician and a person. I wonder if
we couldn't do something here - perhaps develop an on-line mentorship
network ( I know the listservs function, quite well ) in this way- but does
anyone envision something complementary? Just a thought.
r.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Ron Carson 
To: Sue Hossack MOTR/L 
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision


Hello Sue:

I think that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of
the regulation is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to
review client's treatment. It doesn't seem like you are required to see
actual treatment. Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted,
such as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am
sure the law is written to ensure that clients are getting treated
appropriately.

On a whole different topic. In my opinion, it certainly isn't what I
consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor
of two COTAs. New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment
has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about
all new grads)

Be very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on
the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected

Ron

=======================================================
On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:

SHML> Hi all,
SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to 
SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system 
SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to 
SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not 
SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.

SHML> According to the state regulations:

SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet 
SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate
treatment
SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth 
SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first

SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of 
SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case?
The
SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each 
SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment 
SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would
make
SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get
an
SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.

SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks

SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L



SHML> Ron Carson wrote:

>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnowcom
>>
>>The OTnow Mail Archive: 
>>www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>===============================================
>>
>>
>>
>> 
>>
SHML> _______________________________________________
SHML> To unsubscribe, visit:
SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: 
SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SHML> ===============================================



_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:54:48 -0500
From: Sue Hossack MOTR/L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Hi Ron, I agree with you about me, a new graduate, being the only OT. 
When I interviewed for the job I expressed this concern,(and this was 
before I knew about the superivising part!) and they told me they had 
three OT PRNs that I would be able to work with. So far I haven't met or 
talked to any of them. How am I going to grow in knowledge and 
experience without someone to guide me? One of the COTAs is very 
experienced and I am learning from her, but of course I cannot learn 
eval techniques from her. The other COTA needs guidance, and while I 
have lots of ideas, I am not sure until I practise myself how good my 
ideas are.

Sue


Ron Carson wrote:

>Hello Sue:
>
>I think that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of
>the regulation is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to
>review client's treatment. It doesn't seem like you are required to see
>actual treatment. Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted,
>such as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am
>sure the law is written to ensure that clients are getting treated
>appropriately.
>
>On a whole different topic. In my opinion, it certainly isn't what I
>consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only
supervisor
>of two COTAs. New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment
>has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement
about
>all new grads)
>
>Be very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on
>the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected.
>
>Ron
>
>=======================================================
>On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:
>
>SHML> Hi all,
>SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to 
>SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system 
>SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to 
>SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not 
>SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.
>
>SHML> According to the state regulations:
>
>SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet 
>SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate
treatment
>SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth 
>SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first
>
>SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of

>SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case?
The
>SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each 
>SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment 
>SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out
of
>SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would
make
>SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get
an
>SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.
>
>SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks
>
>SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L
>
>
>
>SHML> Ron Carson wrote:
>
> 
>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>>>
>>>The OTnow Mail Archive: 
>>>www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>===============================================
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 
>>>
>>> 
>>>
>SHML> _______________________________________________
>SHML> To unsubscribe, visit:
>SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
>SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: 
>SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>SHML> ===============================================
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
>The OTnow Mail Archive: 
>www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>===============================================
>
>
>
> 
>


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
OTlist mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com


End of OTlist Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8
************************************Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer
download : http://explorer.msn.com
_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive:
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.
_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive:
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
==============================================

Reply via email to