Thanks for all your advice. I have also heard back from the VaOTA COTA liason ( I had contacted VaOTA before I posted to the list but it took them a while to get back to me)
I should explain that I am much older than the normal graduate, having changed career. As a software engineer I was, over the years, team lead, project leader, then manager of up to 6 people so supervising COTAs is not too big a leap. My main concern was in interpretation of the legal requirement. What complicates it is that we service a number of schools over a large two county area, plus ealry intervention and home heath cases so I don't see the COTAs during the day as I might if we all worked in a clinic. It has taken me a over a month to visit all the clients that the COTAs see, but if I am going to be able to have a case load and do evals I will do the rest of the supervision as you suggest, by meeting on a regular basis and discussing the cases, rather than doing site visits. I am thinking that I can spend one morning each week with one of the COTAs at which ever location they are so I will get to see a rotation of clients, and I can treat some of their clients while doing so ( they see up to 13 children in one day at one school!).
The other side of this, as Ron and you pointed out is my lack of mentoring by another OT. I expressed concern about this at the interview and again before I accepted the job and was reassured that there were 3 OTs they used PRN that could be available to me. Unfortunately I have yet to meet with or speak to any of them. I know this is limiting my practise and not expanding my competence. While a listserv like this helps to answer questions, what I really miss is any hand-on encouragement, and having someone observe and point out what I am doing wrong, or omitting in my treatment. I have lots of ideas, and am good at getting info out of the books, but how do I I know if I am doing the right thing? or doing it correctly?
Thanks again for your help
Sue
sandra caskey wrote:
I am a COTA/L as well as an OTR/L. I visit with my COTA/L that I supervise once week minimum to go over case load co-sign, iron out any issues. I also document these meetings, print out the email etc.. I usually co-treat their toughest clients once or twice a month. I have daily phone contact and email contact too. At first it is more time consuming to do supervision, until you get to know and are comfortable with the people you are supervising. I think as a new grad, your new place of employment has put too much on you. To learn a case load, supervise 2 COTA/L s and hone your therapy and evaluation skills in a busy clinic that has school contracts is quite a chunk of responsibility and transition. I hope that they have provided an orientation, an abbreviated schedule to allow you to become familiar with all of the duties, and will let the PRN OT's supervise the COTA/L's too. Mentorship is so important. IT is a necessity while you are transitioning from school to work. Sandra Caskey, OTR/L
----- Original Message ----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 2:58 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: OTlist Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8
Send OTlist mailing list submissions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You can reach the person managing the list at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of OTlist digest..."
Today's Topics:
1. Re: OT Supervision (Ron Carson) 2. Re: OT Supervision (Ruth Meyers) 3. Re: OT Supervision (Sue Hossack MOTR/L)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message: 1 Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:52:54 -0500 From: Ron Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision To: Sue Hossack MOTR/L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Hello Sue:
I think that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of the regulation is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to review client's treatment. It doesn't seem like you are required to see actual treatment. Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted, such as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am sure the law is written to ensure that clients are getting treated appropriately.
On a whole different topic. In my opinion, it certainly isn't what I consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor of two COTAs. New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about all new grads)
Be very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected.
Ron
======================================================= On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:
SHML> Hi all,
SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.
SHML> According to the state regulations:
SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate treatment
SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first
SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case? The
SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would make
SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get an
SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.
SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks
SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L
SHML> Ron Carson wrote:
_______________________________________________ To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
SHML> _______________________________________________ SHML> To unsubscribe, visit: SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SHML> ===============================================
------------------------------
Message: 2 Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:22:48 -0500 From: "Ruth Meyers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi All - Ruth Meyers here- have been pondering on the phenom. of new grads being thrown in to the fire too soon; unfortunately the need for staff is great & this is the result. I certainly was fortunate enough early in my career to have great mentors, folks who guided ( and pummeled) me into development and greater awareness as a clinician and a person. I wonder if we couldn't do something here - perhaps develop an on-line mentorship network ( I know the listservs function, quite well ) in this way- but does anyone envision something complementary? Just a thought.
r.
----- Original Message ----- From: Ron Carson To: Sue Hossack MOTR/L Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision
Hello Sue:
I think that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of the regulation is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to review client's treatment. It doesn't seem like you are required to see actual treatment. Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted, such as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am sure the law is written to ensure that clients are getting treated appropriately.
On a whole different topic. In my opinion, it certainly isn't what I consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor of two COTAs. New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about all new grads)
Be very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected
Ron
======================================================= On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:
SHML> Hi all,
SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.
SHML> According to the state regulations:
SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate treatment
SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first
SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case? The
SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would make
SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get an
SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.
SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks
SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L
SHML> Ron Carson wrote:
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnowcom
>>
>>The OTnow Mail Archive: >>www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>===============================================
>>
>>
>>
>> >>
SHML> _______________________________________________
SHML> To unsubscribe, visit:
SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SHML> ===============================================
_______________________________________________ To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
------------------------------
Message: 3 Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:54:48 -0500 From: Sue Hossack MOTR/L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [OTnow] OT Supervision To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Hi Ron, I agree with you about me, a new graduate, being the only OT. When I interviewed for the job I expressed this concern,(and this was before I knew about the superivising part!) and they told me they had three OT PRNs that I would be able to work with. So far I haven't met or talked to any of them. How am I going to grow in knowledge and experience without someone to guide me? One of the COTAs is very experienced and I am learning from her, but of course I cannot learn eval techniques from her. The other COTA needs guidance, and while I have lots of ideas, I am not sure until I practise myself how good my ideas are.
Sue
Ron Carson wrote:
Hello Sue:
I think that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of the regulation is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to review client's treatment. It doesn't seem like you are required to see actual treatment. Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted, such as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am sure the law is written to ensure that clients are getting treated appropriately.
On a whole different topic. In my opinion, it certainly isn't what I consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor of two COTAs. New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about all new grads)
Be very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected.
Ron
======================================================= On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:
SHML> Hi all,
SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.
SHML> According to the state regulations:
SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate treatment
SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first
SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case? The
SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would make
SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get an
SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.
SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks
SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L
SHML> Ron Carson wrote:
_______________________________________________ To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
SHML> _______________________________________________ SHML> To unsubscribe, visit: SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SHML> ===============================================
_______________________________________________ To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
------------------------------
_______________________________________________ OTlist mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
End of OTlist Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8 ************************************Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com _______________________________________________ To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
=============================================
_______________________________________________ To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
