Hi Linda

I worked as a community OT for adults with Phys dis in England up until April
this year. There were big changes happening regarding the Single Assessment
Process etc. I was based in an office with Social Workers and our roles were
beginning to become blurred, where the OT's were being asked to Commission care
for patients (for the S/W to review 6 weeks later). Previously the OT would
have referred to the S/W and not got involved in the care. This did not sit
comfortably with me, and it sounds like you are a leap further where your title
has changed...... and you have a dual role?

With your way of working, do the S/W's and OT's train each other? The initial
assessment is a vital part of the OT process, is there a risk that the two
disciplines may miss something in the assessment that the other would usually
pick up?

If a social worker completes an assessment and identifies specific OT needs
does the practitioner with OT background then take over the case?

In this area of OT it is common for a patient to see a no. of professionals,
particularly OT, PT and S/W's so I guess this is with an aim to reduce the no.
of professionals involved??

I find it very scary and a real threat to our profession, once you are not
called an OT then that professional identity is lost and a role like OT that is
so often misunderstood will become even more confused...... to other
professionals and the patients.

How do you feel about these changes?

regards

Lucy

> From: peacefulwarr...@btopenworld.com
> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:55:33 +0100
> Subject: [OTlist] Personalisation
>
> I am an OT working in England for Adult Social Care (Social Services), we
> are implementing the personalisation agenda, giving choice and control to
> service users through individual budgets. I am now working in a team
> alongside my Social Work colleagues, our title has been changed to Self
> Directed Support Practitioners, assessing for both OT and SW. Are there any
> others out there who are experiencing this change? I realise this e-mail is
> not very informative but will expand more if I receive any questions.
>
> Linda Hicks
>
> --
> Options?
> www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com
>
> Archive?
> www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com

MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/