From: otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com]on
Behalf Of Brent Cheyne
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 20:44
To: Ron Carson
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Vision vs Reality

Everyone is making great points in this dialogue,

My practice patterns would fall closely in line with how a lot of you are
describing- Ron, Chris, Diane, Joan too. It's nice to hear other people have
the same challenges and frustraions.

Here are 2 that bug me alot!

1) Don't get me wrong, I love working with COTA's and with PRN OT Staff- we
usually need the extra help at our busy SNF but...I find people don't read
the evals and goals that I so pain-stakingly design and select with
patients.
     Frequently, I can look across the treatment area as see a colleague of
mine having the pt I evaluated doing pegs or bicep curls or some other task
with a Total Knee patient whose goal are lower body dressing and shower
transfers and meal prep etc......I had absolutely NO goal for UE ROM for
strength or hand dexterity etcc.., I always try to teach and instill in new
staff or students to read the eval, PLOF, goals and design treatment based
on those, I am frequently frustrated by people just making up any old
activity or exercise willy-nilly to put in time.
If you are taking on a patient that you didn't eval, be sure the treatment
matches the planned goals and treatment set out in the eval, also see if the
eval matches what the patient is presenting with and talking about...talk to
the patient.

2)  Despite high productivity and stressful schedules, therapists not taking
time to know the patient, or engage and educate their family members and
communicate to assess their needs and goals and incorporated them into the
eval goals and plan....basically making the interventions skilled.

There's an old adage that hopefully is appropriate here
--Management is all about doing "things right"-( productivity, filling out
forms, schedules, compliance)
--Leadership is about doing the "right things", (client centered occupations
and interventions)

 We clinicians may not be managers but we still can and should be Leaders..
Keep up the good work people!