Easy Ron, we don't all get to read and respond to email every day:-)

I agree, a most peculiar statement from an OT org. Then - I was just about to
repeat myself saying: Does this mean that with having just one arm left, you
need only half as much OT, and with no arms, no OT? Then I re-read the
statement - and I now get it a teeny bit different. "Rehabilitation related to
impairments  of  the  upper  extremity.." doesn't have to mean that the rehab
only addresses the UE. And there is some partially truth in it - like that new
quadriplegics are likely to need more extensive OT services than paraplegics to
get back some occupations. Same with the arm loss etc. But still, I'm dreaded!

Because I see this not just as a nail to the coffin of the profession, but also
that of the patient. If no one dares to uncover and address the most pressing
occupational needs of the patient's - maybe because we reckon we still can't
fully 'fix' their impairment, nor really change the environmental situation
that makes the impairment into such a huge disability/handicap - then aren't we
lucky we have the blessing of our OT-orgs to just start doing some UE-rehab
instead?! But for the patient, and patients to come, it may be very bad luck -
as such services can serve as a huge cover up blanket for all the needs not
addressed - for you are by definition receiving rehabilitation, right?

Warmly

susanne, denmark