On 11/02/2017 11:07 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:46:48AM -0700, Greg Rose wrote:
> On certain Ubuntu systems running the 4.4 based kernel depmod
> may not correctly search for module dependencies when newer
> openvswitch kernel modules have been installed in the extra
> directory at /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra.  A symptom of
> this are the following messages in system log that can be
> printed with the dmesg command:

Thanks for figuring out the problem and documenting a fix.  I really
appreciate documentation patches.

> +        #!/bin/sh
> +
> +        check_ubuntu_depmod_config() {
> +            if [ -e /etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf ]; then
> +                if ! grep -q extra /etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf
> +                    then
> +                    sed -i s\/search\/"search extra"\/
/etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf
> +                    /sbin/depmod -a
> +                fi
> +            fi
> +        }

I wonder about the details of this particular fix.  Usually, when there
is a configuration file in a .d directory, like depmod.d, it is possible
to add more files to the same directory that also get used for
configuration.  When that works, it is usually better to add files to
the directory rather than changing existing files, because it behaves
better on upgrade.  So, in this case, I wonder whether it is possible to
add a new file that would have something like:

     search extra

or

     override kmod * extra

The latter is suggested by depmod.d(5).

I'll give it a try and get back with the results.

Thanks!