On 11/02/2017 02:39 PM, Guru Shetty wrote:

On 2 November 2017 at 12:55, Greg Rose <gvrose8...@gmail.com
<mailto:gvrose8...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 11/02/2017 11:12 AM, Greg Rose wrote:

        On 11/02/2017 11:07 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:

            On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:46:48AM -0700, Greg Rose wrote:
             > On certain Ubuntu systems running the 4.4 based kernel depmod
             > may not correctly search for module dependencies when newer
             > openvswitch kernel modules have been installed in the extra
             > directory at /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra.  A symptom of
             > this are the following messages in system log that can be
             > printed with the dmesg command:

            Thanks for figuring out the problem and documenting a fix.  I really
            appreciate documentation patches.

             > +        #!/bin/sh
             > +
             > +        check_ubuntu_depmod_config() {
             > +            if [ -e /etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf ]; then
             > +                if ! grep -q extra /etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf
             > +                    then
             > +                    sed -i s\/search\/"search extra"\/
/etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf
             > +                    /sbin/depmod -a
             > +                fi
             > +            fi
             > +        }

            I wonder about the details of this particular fix.  Usually, when
there
            is a configuration file in a .d directory, like depmod.d, it is
possible
            to add more files to the same directory that also get used for
            configuration.  When that works, it is usually better to add files
            the directory rather than changing existing files, because it
behaves
            better on upgrade.  So, in this case, I wonder whether it is
possible to
            add a new file that would have something like:

                  search extra

    This works if put in a separate file such as
/etc/depmod.d/ovs-search-path.conf
    or something else.  Suggested names are welcome.  It also works if the
    instructions already in place to create the /etc/depmod.d/openvswitch.conf
    file are amended so that the first line of the file is 'search extra'.

    Like this:

    search extra
    override * * extra
    override * * weak-updates

I have over the years found something like this to work::

|cat > /etc/depmod.d/openvswitch.conf << EOF override openvswitch * extra override vport-geneve * extra override vport-stt * extra override vport-* * extra EOF|

That does usually work.  Definitely on all the newer Ubuntu releases.
But I found a case where it did not and thus the safety override of
'search extra'.  It won't hurt anything I guess and will prevent
confusion.  Especially my own!

I suppose my argument is better safe than unpredictable.

Thanks Guru!

- Greg

            or

                  override kmod * extra

    Doesn't work.

            The latter is suggested by depmod.d(5).

        I'll give it a try and get back with the results.

        Thanks!

    Let me know what the preference is and I'll spin up a V2 of the patch.

    Thanks,

    - Greg