>> That is always been behavior of the port lifecycle. If you remove the
>> driver of a device, port is removed from kernel datapath and the
>> device is deleted from kernel networking stack. For example you can
>> remove intel NIC driver, or veth module even if there is a
>> corresponding port in OVS bridge. I am not sure why tunnel device is
>> special case.
>>

>  It must have changed sometime then (or my observation is incorrect).
> Because in OVS 2.7, we can't remove "vport-geneve" when a geneve tunnel has
> been created.

Right, that's because in OVS2.7 without dpif-netlink-rtnl, geneve
tunnel is created through
vport_geneve (the geneve_dev_create_fb function) using openvswitch.ko, so
openvswitch.ko hold the reference.

On OVS2.7 without dpif-netlink-rtnl, kernel 4.8
lsmod
  vport_geneve            1744  1               (ref by openvswitch.ko)
  geneve                 20254  1 vport_geneve
  openvswitch           128504  3 vport_geneve