Hi Ilya,

<snipped>

> >> It also complains about AC_PROG_CC_C99, but I'm not sure if we want
> >> to or how to correctly replace it.
> >> Suggested AC_PROG_CC enables C11 by default and that might not be a
> >> desired behavior.
> >
> > Not an expert in this area, but to ensure C99 support, the
> > documentation seems to point to having additional checks where
> > required; particularly checking cache variable ac_cv_prog_cc_c99
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.70/html_node/C
> > -Compiler.html#AC_005fPROG_005fCC
> >
> > Seems we could borrow the idea used in this project:
> https://github.com/lldpd/lldpd/blob/master/configure.ac ?
> >
> > Havent tried this though, so not sure if this really works.
>
> We could do that, I guess.  But that will not save us from the
> obsolescence warning, so I'm not sure if we need to touch that code.

I was thinking more on the lines of:

-AC_PROG_CC_C99
+m4_version_prereq([2.70],[AC_PROG_CC],[AC_PROG_CC_C99])
+if test x"$ac_cv_prog_cc_c99" = x"no"; then
+  AC_MSG_FAILURE([C99 support is required for OVS])
+fi

But it seems the recommendation changes a bit from 2.70 [1] to 2.71 [2] on
standard C support inspection,
i.e checking ac_cv_prog_cc_c99 and ac_prog_cc_stdc respectively.

[1] :
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.70/html_node/C-Compiler.html
[2] :
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.71/html_node/C-Compiler.html