On 6 Feb 2024, at 14:46, Ilya Maximets wrote:

> On 2/6/24 14:30, Eelco Chaudron wrote:
>> Previously, the ability to override the system default for the number
>> of handler threads was broken since to the introduction of the per-CPU
>> upcall handlers.
>
> It wasn't broken, it was intentionally disabled.  I don't think we should
> introduce ability to configure the number of handlers for per-CPU dispatch
> mode.  It only allows users to shoot themselves in a foot if they do not
> understand what they are doing.

I think the design was not thought through enough, and resulted in a lot of
corner case issues. From the start, we should still have allowed tuning of this
option as it was before.

> Many integration scripts in a wild are still blindly setting these options
> without even knowing that the underlying implementation changed completely.
> And those setups may suffer if we suddenly decide to respect the configuration
> that is ignored on modern kernels for all currently supported versions of OVS.

I feel like this is not OVS’s problem. If people do not know what they are
doing, they should not touch it… We have a nice Dutch saying for this "Wie zijn
billen brandt, moet op de blaren zitten” :)

However, I do feel like we should have an option to configure this, as it makes
no sense on a 256-core system to create 256 handler threads. Maybe we should
add a new option, n-forced-handler-threads. This will avoid the above issue
with existing scripts.

Thoughts?

//Eelco