I'm trying to track down a paper that I read several years ago and I'm
having no luck finding it.  Maybe someone here can help.

The paper was about how SQL-style transactions, that is, ones that can
be opened and include a series of query and update operations and then
committed, can be layered on top of systems that only support executing
atomic read-modify-write type operations, along with an explanation of
why this can be good for performance and simplify system design.  I
think it was new around the time that I was initially building OVSDB, so
probably 2010 or so, and I think that it was in a journal or magazine,
e.g. something like Operating System Review, rather than a conference.

I'm interested in it because this is basically how OVSDB works in
practice and I'd like to be able to cite the paper as an extended
explanation.

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks,

Ben.