DPDK. SRIOV and any sort of Smart NIC which removes or obfuscates the
generic kernel packet path from view have their place. But they are
all stop gap technologies IMNSHO.

eBPF + XDP  plugged into OVS is in my view the only truly useful use
case worth pursuing for SDN workload interaction.

If you need to switch faster you might as well get dedicated hardware
appliances; because for all practical purposes the Mellanox, Netronome
and VERY recent Intels offload mechanisms (including DPDK and SRIOV)
make the packet and flow processing path of the Kernel irrelevant .
You effectively have an entire GNU Linux/BSD stack there to provision
a very tiny bit of hardware that is actually doing anything ; and you
are not doing any meaningful interaction from the Kernel or
Application layers with said bit of hardware and you end up loosing
control and command and processing abilities. Black holes and edge
cases - leading to lower resiliency, feature disparity in the network
and increased management overhead in your scalable overlay fabric
forwarding path as a result.

There is a lot of VNF workloads that say they need  XYZ performance
metric to be met and there-fore need some $offload.

My Adjunct to that ; is that there are a lot of VNF workloads that
need to re-engineered to be a) Cloud Native b) apply newer or better
techniques for resilience in their packet paths.

Am not saying switching at 100G doesn't have it's place ; just that
for commodity cloud compute environments that place is questionable as
to it's current positioning on an overlay.