On Fri, 2022-10-07 at 13:51 +0100, Brendan Doyle wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Apologies if this is a dumb question I'm not too familiar with the
> what goes on between ovn-controller and the kernel OVS flows.
>
> So ovn-controller is control plane, the OVS flows it get pushed
> down to the kernel (the data plane). So I expected that if ovn-
> controller
> is stopped on a hypervisor that the dataplane flows would persist in
> the kernel.
>
> But what I see is if I have a VM on hypervisor A and a gateway on
> hypervisor B. If I stop  ovn-controller on hypervisor A then I can
> no longer access the VM via the gateway.  There is no Geneve
> traffic sent to hypervisor A.

Stopping ovn-controller shouldn't flush OVS flows as reported by "ovs-
ofctl dump-flows br-int". And if the OVS flows don't get flushed I
wouldn't expect data plane flows to get flushed either.

There used to be an issue when the new ovn-controller started and
flushed some flows before it had completely downloaded the Southbound
DB but that's been fixed by:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/ovn/list/?series=314426&archive=both&state=*

What version of OVN are you running? Can you dump flows on br-int, then
stop ovn-controller, then dump flows again and compare? (use --no-stats
to make diffing easier).

Dan