Hello Georgi,

CRS3 comes with default rule exclusions for WP and Drupal that solve
many of the base installations FPs. Collaborating with the project on
a set of Joomla rule exclusions would be most helpful.

Starting with a higher anomaly threshold while you weed out the false
positives is a method that I advocate in my documentation.

Making sure that you do not base your tuning efforts on attack traffic
is an obvious problems. There are multiple approaches to this, and none
of them is hard science. I usually try to start off with tuning based on
known IP ranges.

This is all discussed in great detail in the series of ModSecurity
tutorials at https://www.netnea.com/cms/apache-tutorials/

Besides, I am also running two public ModSec courses in October.

Good luck!

Christian

https://www.feistyduck.com/books/modsecurity-handbook/
mailto:christian.fol...@netnea.com