On Feb 18, 2008 8:46 PM, Chris Maresca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did look at the man page, but it doesn't seem like there was much in
> the way of actual functions.     To be fair, I haven't looked at the POD
> page yet, so perhaps there is more.   I did run the example, but it gave
> me a blob of info rather than more digestible chunks.  That's alright,
> but I'm unclear what the OWserver gets me beyond OW.pm (or even what
> OW.pm gets me beyond what OWFS has....) if I'm using everything on
> localhost....

POD and man are the same, I think.

> One think I am trying to get (either directly or indirectly) is
> signals/callbacks/alerts when new devices are added.   It seems I can
> either poll the interface or watch the file systems (which is
> effectively the same thing, AFAIK).   Watching the file system seems
> like a pretty easy, standard way to do this, although I wish there was
> some way to set refresh rate lower than 1 second.

Slower or faster?
1-wire isn't all that fast in the first place, you know.
I think the SELECT function is used for shorter delays.

> Which leads to a question.  Does the owserver 'push' new data to
> clients, or does it expect clients to poll?  It seems like it expects
> clients to poll.....

Pull model. (Like a filesystem).
Note that 1-wire itself doesn't reliably notify of updates. (A least not in
multiuser environment when other data transfer can mask a presence pulse.)

Some of the 1-wire low-level communication has direct polling (keeps sending
0's until the measurement is complete). We don't use that since it stalls
the bus and prevents all other communication. It's a design choice.

Paul Alfille