---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Subject: Simple perl program
To: Paul Alfille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear owfs-developers!

As recommended by you, Paul, I googled "cgi shell tutorial" and I found some
things. I get sites with "CGI" with "Rebol" or "Apache" and I wrote a
program like

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello, World.";

and put this into the folder "/var" into the NSLU2. Then, I gave it an
execute right and started it from the command shell. I get
"

Hello, World.
"

O.k.Then, I entered the following URL in my web browser "
http://192.168.1.77/var/hello_world.pl";, but of course it did not work. Do I
have to add a port or do I have to save it onto the hard-disc of my computer
and call it remote from the NSLU????

ANYWAY, I'M WILLING TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM, BUT I HAVE ABSOLUTE
NO IDEA ABOUT ANY BASICS OF THIS "CGI" AND I HAVE NO IDEA IF I HAVE TO USE
THE "REBOL" OR THE "APACHE" CODE OR WHATEVER IT IS OR WHATEVER ELSE AND I
HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHERE TO START THE PROGRAM AND WHERE TO SEARCH IN
THE INTERNET FOR IT. AND SINCE THERE IS OBVIOUSLY NO OTHER USER IN THIS
WORLD WHO CAN TELL ME A LITTLE MORE CONCRETE THINGS ABOUT HOW THIS WORKS,
THERE ARE TOO MANY POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS WHERE IS THE ERROR AND WHERE I
SHOULD START TRYING. SO FOR ME, I FIND IT A LITTLE BIT NOT O.K. OF YOU ALL
IF EVERYONE SAYS "IT'S EASY", BUT I GET NO REAL HELP! I WRITE THIS, RISKING
THAT I WILL NEVER RECEIVE ANY ANSWER FROM YOU ALL AGAIN, OR YOU WILL DELETE
MY MAIL AT ALL, BUT I CAN LIVE WITH IT.
I'M RATHER GOOD IN ANALOG CIRCUIT DESIGN AND IT'S THE SAME THING IF ANYONE
OF YOU (LET'S SUPPOSE) WANTS DRIVE A LAMP FROM A LED. THIS HAPPEND IN THE
PAST. I COULD HAVE SAID TO THIS PERSON "IT'S EASY: SIMPLY USE A TRANSISTOR"
AND HE 'NEVER' WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET A WORKING CIRCUIT, CAUSE THERE
ARE MILLIONS OF TRANSISTORS AVAILABLE AND THERE ARE A HUGE AMOUNT OF
COMBINATIONS TO MAKE IT WRONG. INSTEAD I HAVE DRAWN FOR HIM A LITTLE CIRCUIT
WHICH COST ME 15min OF MY VALUABLE TIME AND HE BUILT IT AND IT WAS WORKING
AND HE WAS HAPPY. WITH THIS BASICS, HE WAS ABLE TO ENLARGE HIS SYSTEM BY HIS
OWN.
AS I SAID, I ALSO WANT TO UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM AND I AM WILLING TO LEARN
AND I DO NOT NEED ANYBODY WHO WRITES THE COMPLETE CODE FOR MY "WATERING
PLANT SYSTEM", BUT A VERY LITTLE CODE EXAMPLE WHICH IS WORKING AND WHERE
ANYONE TELLS ME: "PUT EXACTLY THIS FILE IN THIS FOLDER THERE AND START IT
WITH..." WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE.

Bye,
Bernd2700