On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Paul (& Jan & Gregg),
>
> THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH, PAUL, FOR THIS CONCRETE LITTLE PROGRAMM!!
> THAT'S EXACTLY THE HELP I NEEDED!!! NOW I HAVE A BASIC IDEA HOW THESE THINGS
> ARE WORKING AND FROM NOW ON, I THINK I CAN HELP MYSELF, IN THE FUTURE! With
> your sample program, I got an understanding where I have to start what and
> so on. First, I will try to code my watering-plant-program directly into
> only one file (typing over telnet) with the serial numbers of the 1 wire
> devices, then, as you proposed, I can put parameters to an extra file and
> replace the serialz with variables and finally access this file by a web
> browser and change the variables. But for this, there is documentation and I
> can search the web to make new functions and enlarge my program step by
> step. The point is: Until now, I had no idea about anything, where to start,
> and which program I have to execute where and what to type to access the
> 1-wire things etc., but now, with your sample program the picture
> immediately gets pretty clear. THAN

I'm glad I could help. As a hardware designer, you can see that OWFS is also
about tools. The construction is your contribution.

The example I gave is in "shell script" -- a programming language that is
active at the basic command prompt. There are other choices, some more
powerful and more flexible, like perl or python. It may be worth your while
to learn one of those since the language is more flexible and the ability to
customize by bringing in predesigned components (like GPS handling, or
configuration file handling, or web serving) is also easier. Again, OWFS all
about having many tools with a consistent interface.

 KS A LOT AGAIN, PAUL!
> Thanks Jan for your hint with this ?Cherokee? webserver, although for me
> (as a beginner), it?s again not really concrete enough to follow. Do I have
> to install this webserver into the NSLU (because you wrote I should install
> Linux on my PC??? Why?). However, I will read its documentation. What I
> didn?t understand, and this is why it?s not really helpful to me is: Is
> ?owhttpd? a webserver and maybe already installed and I don?t need this
> ?Cherokee? at all? Paul wrote me in a mail some time ago ?The easiest way to
> test, is to use owhttpd and use the browser interface. If you can see the
> DS2405 and turn the switch that way, we can write a perl program to do it
> too.? This is exactly the thing I mean with ?not concrete enough for a
> beginner?: Which program do I (! => that is exactly MY case and not a
> general situation!!) exactly need now, or do I need both and where to
> install it? This is not written in any documentation. Once, someone of you
> understood my case / my system / what

OK, Web servers. Basically a program that responds to HTML network queries
with a web page. You have to specify the "port" that your web server will
listen to (port 80 is the default for most web servers). owhtttpd is a very
basic  web server that only gives 1-wire information. That makes is easy to
configure and quite safe. You can't customize it to give special web pages
or to change any files on the server. Only 1-wire work.

Apache is the most general purpose web server. It has many add-on modules,
some of which allow you to run programs on  the server (Like CGI programs).
Cherokee is a smaller version of a general purpose web server, apparently
the default server for the NSLU2 setup. It is pre-set to show and allow
changes to the NSLU2 configuration. With some work it can also be expanded
to add your own functions. owhttpd and Cherokee can run at the same time,
but on different ports.

>  I have, you could write to me for instance: ?Install this ?Cherokee? onto
> your NSLU or onto your PC where I must have Linux installed and link it with
> ?owhttpd?. Then, of course, I can read myself the documentation how to
> install this and that program, but as I said, I first have to know WHERE I
> have to install this program - or in other words: What I have to do with it
> at all! Do you know now, what I mean?
> About what you, Gregg, have added, again, for me, I listen to 2
> professionals talking, not understanding a word, sorry.
> Anyway, I think Paul has shown me already now with his short sample
> program the way to go. Paul, maybe you can put this little program anywhere
> available for other beginners, that they have it more easy in the future
> than me to start with owfs: ?First, install Unslung into the NSLU, then OWFS
> (you got the documentation from me how to do it), then try a a first command
> like ?owwrite -s 192.168.1.77:4304 05.24302C000000/PIO 1?, if this is
> working, you can write the short perl program: ?what you gave me now?. By
> the way, maybe you can tell me, where a docu is available of all the
> commands I can use (like ?owwrite?)? I searched on ?sourceforge.net? under
> ?documentation? and on ?owfs.org? but couldn?t find any.
> I tried from ?https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=85502? but since I
> logged in, it says, I should find the project I?m interested in and there
> will be other infos. So I got to ?owfs and owhttpd? but I couldn?t find any
> info for registering.

Look in www.owfs.org for documentation.
For the "shell programs" like owwrite, owread, owdir see:
http://owfs.org/index.php?page=owshell
For the DS2405, see: http://owfs.org/index.php?page=ds2405
etc...

Paul Alfille