I'm not sure if scanning all the i2c busses is safe. There seems to be a
list of available i2c adapters in
/sys/class/i2c-adapter/
and the names can be shown by:
cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/*/device/name

I'm not sure if a non-root user can see or access all this.

The potential addresses for the DS2482-800 are 0x18 through 0x1F. Although
it's not hard to specify, I'd like that to be the non-default.

So what do you think of:

--i2c=/dev/i2c-0            # first DS2482 on that i2c master
--i2c=/dev/i2c-0:1D       # Specific i2c master and DS2482 slave
--i2c=/dev/i2c-0:all        # Every DS2482 on that i2c master
--i2c=all                       # Every i2c master and DS2482 slave

Paul Alfille

> However, I do see a need for signalling owserver that it should re-scan
> the i2c buses for new / missing adapters. (This BTW also applies to USB.)

How about a general entry in under interface to "reconnect"

Paul Alfille