yes, I use a powered hub from the list of complient powered hubs. The
layout on the raspi circuit board for power supply of the usb is not
that good. So you loose quite some voltage on the printed circuits.

Hence the recommendation to use a powered usb hub.

It is possible and safe to use the same power supply you power the raspi
with, to power the usb-hub externally. Use only a powered hub from the
recommended and tested list for raspi. As to directly power the devices
themselves, I have no experience with, but there is a link in my
my USB fuses on the raspi with a soldering iron) where they talk about
exactly and why not to do it and how to do it, if one still wants or has
to do it :o)

I did post my hardware in previous emails - so you probably found them
already.

The trick with disabling the eth0 was/is, that usb and ethernet is
integrated in one and the same chip on the raspi, and the driver for it
was/is faulty and caused hard hangs on the raspi. Thats why the
cecommendation was/is to disable ethernet and use a usb wifi stick -
again from the recommended list - in the externally powered hub.

It's actually quite simple ;-)