So to avoid trying to get WinAVR to behave, on a windows machine with
avrdude I would do something like:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -U flash:w:image.hex -U eeprom:w:eprom.hex

That should do the trick? Do I really need to set the fuses? I have it
set up as external 16Mhz. I assume this is compatible.