For what it's worth, I have my own Python sql query abstraction that I find
infinitely useful.

I create/edit all action (if this then that) operations from a web interface
where I reference values using a database value notation that is then
interpreted by a sanitized Python eval. Pretty simple but powerful. Can send rf
messages, set db values for squirting into switch io, etc.

Sure, single point of failure, but stateful and historical (critical for PID),
which the importance of was already pointed out. I think it's important to have
stupid devices and one or a few smart nodes for databasing and bringing things
to a web interface. Computers are quite reliable these days. If you want the
thing to be networked, you'll need a single node to either get things out or
determine which of your redundant smart nodes have failed anyway. I guess you
could make this node a simple micro for no other purpose (or a hacked router),
but I find SBCs such as the Pi plenty reliable.