It was all very simple.  I was connecting the sensors via breadboard type connectors.  My old one worked, the new ones didn't.  I just tried connecting via the screw terminals on a Sheepwalk RPi2 and they all work fine.  I guess the pins on the new ones must be a bit corroded and that stopped it making a good connection.

Thanks for your help, sorry it was a bum steer.

Mick