On 2 September 2010 13:47, Sam Lai <samuel....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 September 2010 13:27, mike smith <meski...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2 September 2010 11:53, Nick Randolph <n...@builttoroam.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Lol – but RTM != In-Stores-Soon…. You’ve got to allow a couple of months
> >> for the rtm build to be round tripped through OEMs, Telcos and back to
> MS J
> >
> > That's what I like about Android.  Gets updated to your existing phone.
>
> Not really. It still depends on the phone manufacturer's willingness
> to provide an update (custom ROMs aside). As Motorola and Samsung have
> shown, updates take months to reach released phones, if they do at
> all. The only advantage here is that manufacturers don't have to pay
> new license fees for new versions, unlike WM.

Well, mine's been auto-updated, twice.  (2.1 and 2.2)  It's a NexusOne.

> The only phone where you have some kind of reliable guarantee that
> you'll get updates to the latest OS for a reasonable amount of time
> after release is the iPhone.
>
> I'm looking forward to a mobile OS that properly separates the GUI,
> apps and frameworks on top of it from the kernel and drivers below,
> such that the OS manufacturer (Microsoft, Google, Nokia/Intel etc.)
> can update the visible parts of the OS themselves without having to
> wait for the phone manufacturer's approval (device testing aside).

Android has some separation going on there, given that the update occurs at
the radio and os level.

> Sidenote - I wonder how the current OS manufacturers (except Apple)
> are going to react to security issues given they have no direct
> ability to send updates to phones (and the patch may be device
> hardware dependent). Blame the phone manufacturers?

When I got the first update, Telstra (my carrier) weren't even selling
Android based phones.  So I'd say the manufacturer is doing the update.