Thanks Greg L, this is very interesting indeed. I've passed your article
link onto the other guys who are more deeply into SQL internals so they can
investigate.

I now have to investigate Hoss' hint that I can programmatically invoke SSRS
reports via a web service.

I have a 27MB 770 page PDF book titled Applied Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Reporting Services by Teo Lachev. Chapter 15 is titled Reporting for .NET
Clients, so maybe some good news for us will be in there. If I find anything
startling or useful at the end of this research I'll let you all know.

Greg K