Totally agree. I've taken work laptops and put my own SSD hard drive in
them in the past (without asking for permission usually. They hire me
trusting that I know what I'm doing, and I know that it will mean I won't
be sitting about waiting for stuff to happen).
I did some benchmarking on build times and found that I could do a build in
about 5 to 10 minutes. The rest of the team were taking 15 minutes per
build. Companies really need to wake up and realise a few hundred dollars
will save them immeasurable volumes of wasted time. AND keep their staff
happy. Arguably their best resource. So worth it.