Folks, I'm getting conflicting behaviour in FTP clients on our new server.
We installed an app in this new server and it died attempting to GET a file
from a remote FTP server.

So I ran ftp.exe from the command prompt to do the same thing as the app
does in code to see what happens (thinking that ftp.exe is a nice vanilla
test). It takes my user and password okay, but an 'ls' command says "501
Server cannot accept argument". I tried PASV mode and it does the same
thing.

Next test from Windows Explorer asks for my credentials and then lists the
FTP server's file okay.

So that's weird ... the app and ftp.exe fail, but Windows Explorer works.
Can anyone suggest why? Different authentication modes? This is a serious
problem that has stopped the rollout of the app.

Greg K

P.S. I know that FTP is ancient, but it's being used for historical
reasons. I've told the app's author to use HTTP instead and have supplied
some sample code.