David, we suspected a firewall at first, but it was ruled out a few days
ago. If ftp.exe doesn't do PASV at then I was accidentally wasting my time.
Web searches on this matter now hint that you're right, but I would never
have guessed such a stupid thing could be true. My little C# client is
correctly getting files on the FTP server and all I'm doing is this:
var client = new
WebClient<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.webclient(v=vs.100).aspx>
();
client.Credentials = new NetworkCredentials("user", "password");
client.BaseAddress = "ftp://ftp.myserver.com";;
byte[] buffer = client.DownloadData("getme.txt");

I didn't expect this to work at first, thinking I'd have to change modes or
properties or some other trickery, but it works! I didn't even have to use
the
FtpWebRequest<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.ftpwebrequest(v=vs.100).aspx>class.

Now I think the ball is to be passed over to the C++ programmer to see what
he's doing that is different. His code is still crashing trying to get a
file.