>From the linked article:
"Appropriate for a privacy-centered service, "Syme" is named after a character
in "1984," George Orwell's chilling novel describing total state control. In
the book, Syme was "vaporized" for being a free-thinking individual."

However, even if the data is encrypted in-transit, and on Syme's servers, it
doesn't stop Syme from having ads on the site. If they don't have ads, then the
next question does become "how do they intend to fund this service?"

Cheers
Ken

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of ILT (O)
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2013 4:04 PM
To: 'ozDotNet'
Subject: RE: [OT] Facebook advertising

Ironically, when I go there I get a huge popup Ad in the middle of the screen
that I have to dismiss.
Greg, maybe that's ARN (IDG Communications) , if you're referring to what
happens when you follow my link.
As to what is actually at "Syme", I have no idea. Did you try to connect to the
site?
But as a Melbourne-ite I thought you might wonder (as I do) about the origin of
the name for this encrypted site: "Syme" - I immediately thought of David Syme,
one-time editor / founder of "The Age", etc (not sure exactly of his role).

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia