We moved from a 3rd party hosted full TFS instance to TFS Online however we
only use the work items, not source control(I prefer mercurial/git).

It was a little painfull as we had used some customisation to
fields/templates.

However, it was *mostly* ok (if a little time consuming). I just got the
entire backlog into Excel. Did the same the TFS online, copy common fields
from one excel sheet to another, publish to TFS online. This got us an easy
80-85% there. Other stuff was customised or had some other weirdness we had
to look into but not too bad. We kept the old instance going while we did
some sanity checks and ensured all was ok.

BTW, TFSOnline is great. Love the web interface and use it instead of the VS
integration.

-          Glav