The evangelism aside - xamarin career wise for a .net dev is the smart
money but I have had many conference calls with apple. Microsoft and Google
on this subject and they tend to nudge you in the native direction and only
use these middle ground options with caution

Personally after spending the last 5 years analysing the mobility problem
my advice is to be open to the idea of doubling down on one device and
secure wins there first. Once you've built muscle than try the breadth play
but when you go breadth you increase in dev time or you sacrifice in depth
features. It's rarely ever win win approach and you always leave a little
of your creative soul on the table

Xamarin and / or unity3d though are really the only ones that so far stand
a legitimate chance at future success especially for c# devs

--
---
Regards,